Monday, August 23, 2010

I need to make a basketball cake. The recipe calls for terra cotta colored icing. How do I get terra cotta?

You'll have to do a bit of experimenting, but it's basically a brown icing with a little red mixed in. If you have access to a store that carries Wilton products, they have a large selection of color gels for icing that won't thin the icing. Using liquid food coloring can make your icing too thin. Good luck.I need to make a basketball cake. The recipe calls for terra cotta colored icing. How do I get terra cotta?
They sell terra cotta color in ready made drops and pigment/powders. Go to a crafts shop that also sells Wilton cake making supplies or call ahead to a local cake decorater's supply shop to see if they have it for you. you can also order online. Try fancyflours.com, your local Michaels or Joann crafts store--the larger ones have large displays of Wilton cake supplies. I don't know how to make terra cotta at home, but you could try red or orange mixed with brown. They make really good powder colors for foods now, that really are better than the old fashioned drops/liquid and for truer colors, I would suggest using them.I need to make a basketball cake. The recipe calls for terra cotta colored icing. How do I get terra cotta?
You want to mix orange and brown until you get a basketball shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment