Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Does anyone have any good recipes for cakes, muffins or slices that have no sugar in them?

I suffer from chronic migraines and would like to try cutting out sugar to see if its one of my triggers, does anyone have an recipes for ';sweet stuff'; that tastes good and has no sugar in them?





My husband loves chocolate muffins cakes etc so that makes it a little hard I know!





If anyone has some good recipes I would love to hear them! =)Does anyone have any good recipes for cakes, muffins or slices that have no sugar in them?
Apple Crumb Cake


vegetable cooking spray


1 cup (140 g) all-purpose flour


1/3 cup (50 g) rolled oats


1/3 cup (63 g) sugar substitute


1/4 cup (35 g) brown sugar substitute


1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon


1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) ground nutmeg


1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) salt


4 tablespoons (50 g) cold margarine, cut into small pieces


1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking powder


1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda


1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened apple juice


1 teaspoon ( 5 ml) vanilla extract


1/4 cup (60 ml) egg substitute


2 Braeburn apples, about 1 pound (480 g) total, peeled, cored, and chopped





Preheat oven to 350潞 F. Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.





In a bowl combine the flour, oats, sugar substitutes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender, or two knives, until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Set aside 1/2 cup.





Combine the remaking flour mixture with the baking powder, baking soda, apple juice, vanilla, and egg substitute. Beat at a medium speed with an electric mixture until blended. Fold in the apples.





Spoon the cake mixture into the pan and level out. Sprinkle with the reserved flour mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cake springs back in the center when lightly touched. Cool the cake until warm.





Cut into 16 squares.





Serve warm or cooled.Does anyone have any good recipes for cakes, muffins or slices that have no sugar in them?
Look for Diabetic recipes, they'll have a minimal amount of sugar/carbs, there are several diabetic cookbooks out there, some of them are specifically geared for desserts
I have heard of people substituting sugar with apple sauce.
I share your aversion to refined sugars for different reasons ,,while I can offer no recipes I can offer my own partial solution, I allways use raw sugar where the recipe calls for castor and If a recipe calls for five tblspoons of sugar I will put two of raw sugar and perhaps four heaped tblspoons of dessicated coconut. Another substitute is honey, just a thought,, try pancakes adjusted to the coconut formula they are great
You might think that a girl who once packed up all of her belongings and moved, sight unseen, a couple of thousand miles away to a place where she had no job, no family, and no real idea of what she was doing would be quite an adventurous eater--always anxious to try something new, never ordering the same thing twice. And while I'm sure that girls like this do exist, I am definitely not one of them. The pursuit of good, honest food may be the central theme around our farm and in my life, but the truth is that I am the type of person who will happily fall into a very deep food rut.





The only reason I do not have coffee ice cream every time I visit my favorite ice cream parlor is because they have a rotating menu of homemade flavors, and coffee is not always available. Ordering my first scoop of chocolate almond took several agonizing minutes of deliberation and an extraordinary amount of courage. I do not find it tiresome to eat the same dinner four or five nights in a row, and I happen to believe that one of the tastiest things in the entire world is homemade leftover anything.





These are handy qualities to have if much of your food comes from the farmers' market or the garden, as I have come to realize that the true definition of eating seasonally means you devour something for so many meals on end that you don't even want to think about it until next year.





At breakfast time, my routine pattern of eating extends well beyond a rut. It is more like a bottomless pit. It is a good thing I don't live anywhere near a Chinese bakery since I could happily eat a baked pork bun every morning for the next 20 or 30 years. Because life on a farm is defined by a never ending series of surprises, you really cannot plan ahead or count on much of anything. This, of course, is what makes it so interesting. It also means that I find a great deal of comfort in something as simple as knowing exactly what my morning meal will be for the next several months.





For a while I was stuck on oatmeal, cooked slowly on the stove with extra bran, a handful of wild blackberries from the freezer tossed in at the last minute. A bowl of hot oatmeal with a splash of cold milk, a dash of vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon made for dozens of wholesome and invigorating breakfasts.





Next I hit upon bran muffins. My first creation called for making up large quantities of a complicated mix of dry ingredients ahead of time, thus allowing you to stir together the actual batter in seconds flat. Then I came upon a banana bran muffin recipe and latched onto it. The muffins were tasty, but they always made a mess of the pan. It took me longer to wash the muffin tin than it did to make the actual muffins. And using paper liners didn't help, as ridiculous amounts of muffin would stick to them. Of course none of this kept me from consuming a couple hundred of them--or motivated me to come up with a non-stick version.





After the bran muffins came that classic American breakfast staple--cold cereal with milk. I found an organic, whole grain variety I liked and began purchasing it in quantity whenever it went on sale. To each bowl of cereal I would add small scoops of organic oat bran and wheat bran as well as a handful of dried cranberries or raisins.





Not long after purchasing 11 boxes of this cereal, a hankering for bran muffins appeared in the most incessant way. I could think of nothing else, but I refused to go back to those annoying pan stickers. I set out to create an entirely new bran muffin, and, perhaps because I was so determined, it did not take long to come up with one that I considered scrumptious.





My long held pet peeve regarding bran muffin recipes is that they almost always include some type of bran cereal. This, to me, is ridiculous. Why make muffins from scratch using overpriced (and often overprocessed) cereal when pure organic bran is available for a couple of pennies per serving? I recently came across a recipe that had the nerve to call for two different kinds of cereal.





If one of your New Year's resolutions was to increase the fiber in your diet, this is your lucky day. These bran muffins are made from 100% whole grains, including plenty of both wheat bran and oat bran (giving you soluble and insoluble fiber at once), and yet they do not taste like sawdust or have the consistency of little bricks. I baked up a batch of the blueberry bran version during my mother's recent visit, and she declared them to be the best muffins she had ever tasted. The honey and molasses add moisture and flavor and are better for you than granulated sugar.





You can start with the basic plain version or go straight to one of the variations listed at the end of the recipe (which I think taste even better the second day). The blueberries will deliver copious amounts of antioxidants along with their little bursts of juicy flavor. Adding mashed bananas to the batter will give you a very moist muffin.





My favorite way to eat these muffins is cut in half and spread with peanut butter and jam. Add a glass of milk, and I am good to go for four or five hours. They make an excellent breakfast on the run or afternoon pick-me-up snack for both kids and adults. The very best thing about them is that they freeze beautifully, which means you can always have some on hand.





This is health food of the highest order--disguised as simply good tasting food. When you serve these muffins there is no need for justification or explanation. No one needs to know that you are packing them with nutrients and possibly increasing their life span--only that you baked them with love.





I have some ideas for other muffin flavor variations (such as a carrot and raisin version made with cooked carrot puree instead of grated raw carrots), but for now I am more than set. Check back with me in a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment